Senior Platform Engineer
Our Growth Mindset (The Mission): Think back on your time in school and a project or experience that got you fired up, curious, and motivated to try your best. Can you remember one? If you’re like us, there are some projects we remember decades later – those times when we were so engaged in what we were doing that we couldn’t help but learn.
Seesaw is a learning platform that brings educators, students and families together to deepen student learning. Teachers design and facilitate powerful learning experiences, students create, reflect, collaborate and make their learning visible, and families actively support and celebrate student learning. Seesaw is used by millions of K-12 students in over half the schools in the U.S.
The Curriculum (Your Role): We’re looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to help drive the vision for our server and backend architecture as we scale from 10s of millions to 100s of millions of users. This includes a wide range of projects, from figuring out how to revamp our data infrastructure to support 100s of millions of student posts, to migrating our API layer to GraphQL to optimizing the performance of our ElasticSearch cluster.
Your Classmates (The Team): You’ll primarily be working with teammates on our Platform Engineering team – a small group of experienced engineers that support the backend infrastructure of Seesaw. All engineers at Seesaw are full stack engineers and own feature development from end-to-end – so you’ll end up working with every engineer at Seesaw – but the mission of the Platform team is to see across our entire product surface area and build the core systems that make everyone more efficient.
Subject Matter (Your Responsibilities):
- Build and maintain the core systems that all product teams at Seesaw use. Currently this involves Dynamo, ElasticSearch, ElasticCache, S3, EC2, Lambda, and Athena.
- Proactively identify performance and scaling bottlenecks in our infrastructure and develop new approaches to how we develop that don’t just involve throwing more servers at a problem. We value simplicity and efficiency in everything we do.
- Drive a vision for how our server stack can evolve to be more scalable, more efficient, and simpler to build on over time.
- Serve as rotating on-call with other members of the platform team for production issues.
Prerequisites (The Requirements):
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals - a CS degree or equivalent experience.
- 6+ years prior experience working on backend / platform infrastructure.
- Prior experience with AWS infrastructure (EC2, Lambda, Dynamo, S3, ElasticSearch) OR experience working on a product with 10s of millions of active users.
A little bit about us: We care about building a diverse and inclusive team to better advocate for the needs of our incredibly diverse K-12 users. We prioritize work-life balance and actually walk the walk – we care a lot about our work, but care more about our friends and family. We encourage everyone to work at a sustainable pace and have an unlimited vacation policy that people actually use. We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits including full medical, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) with company match, paid parental leave, flexible vacation policy, free lunch, wellness stipend, donation match, company happy hours, and off-sites.
Take a deeper dive into our company's culture on our KeyValues page.
Seesaw provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, sex, sex stereotype, gender, gender identity/gender expression/transgender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information/characteristics, marital status/registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, or military or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Seesaw complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Notice anything wrong with this job post?
Is this job not remote?
Does this job not accept Asian timezones?
Had a bad experience?